Appetite are working with Coventry-based company Imagineer Productions on The Bridge Project, exploring bridge-building and bridge-burning in local communities across Stoke-on-Trent and Newcastle-under-Lyme. We are looking to recruit a pool of local Facilitators to lead workshops with community groups as part of The Bridge Project using Imagineer’s Bridge Building Kits. Created with civil engineers Arup (who designed Sydney Opera House and hundreds of other amazing places) the Bridge Building Kits, inspired by Leonardo da Vinci’s design, allow anyone of any age and experience to build a bridge in less than two hours.
Appetite will be inviting community groups, schools, businesses and individuals to host a Bridge Building event in outdoor public spaces, bringing together people who wouldn’t normally meet, with the aim of fostering new connections and building bridges.
We are looking to recruit a pool of local Facilitators to undertake training with Imagineer and lead these workshops throughout 2021.
Following training from Imagineer and working with a Bridge Assistant, you will lead the hands-on, two-hour workshops with communities and participants of all ages.
You will lead the participants to effectively work together to use the kit to safely assemble the Bridge, exploring themes of community connection and bridge building as you do. You will facilitate conversations between participants and create a safe and supportive environment in which people can build new relationships.
You will report back to the Appetite Community Participation Coordinator and identify opportunities for participants to continue to engage in the Appetite programme.
You will be responsible for workshop set-up ensuring all requirements are in place for an effective workshop.
We are looking for facilitators that
- Have experience leading hands-on, physical workshops with people of a range of ages, experience and abilities
- Excellent oral communication and workshop facilitation skills
- Understand health and safety procedures, the risk assessment process and able to deliver a safe environment for all taking part
- A passion for the aims of The Bridge Project and able to facilitate a supportive environment in which participants of different backgrounds can connect with each other
- An enthusiastic attitude and a warm and welcoming manner
- Self-motivated and able to motivate, build confidence and support others
- Understand and have experience of working within safeguarding policies and procedures
- Hold an up to date Enhanced DBS certificate
- Hold a full, clean driving licence and able to move and transport the kit using a transit van (provided by Appetite)
The fee for this work is £450 which will include a training session with Imagineer on Monday 26 July and a minimum of 2x 2 hour workshops during August and September 2021. This is an all-inclusive fee and will include any travel, preparation and materials. Depending on the level of interest we receive, facilitators will be required to take on additional workshops. This will be paid at an all-inclusive rate of £100 per workshop.
The precise workshops schedule is yet to be confirmed but it is likely that sessions may take place on both weekends and weekdays during August and potentially September. We will take availability into account but we would need facilitators to have flexibility during these months, and particularly during August.
This opportunity is offered on a self-employed/ freelance contract basis and therefore you will be responsible for your own tax and National Insurance contributions. You will be required to hold your own public liability insurance for £5m.
Facilitators will need to have a full, clean driving licence and be required to transport the kit using a transit van, provided by Appetite.
Facilitators will be added to Appetite’s freelancer database and kept in mind for future work and opportunities.
How to Apply
Please submit an Expression of Interest consisting of:
- a CV detailing relevant facilitation experience
- 200 words or a 3 minute video recording outlining why this opportunity appeals to you and why you would be an effective Bridge Facilitator
- A completed monitoring form here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1YcbpoWWOTQLBKFa0ogQLvsKYPzgf7pGfE2Dq7WZEkA4/edit
Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Bridge Facilitator Expression of Interest’ in the subject heading. You will receive a reply confirming receipt within 48 hours.
If you have any queries about the opportunity please email email@example.com.
Deadline for Expressions of Interest: noon on Friday 25 June
Interviews: via Zoom w/c 28 June
Contracts offered: by Friday 2 July
Training: Monday 26 July, daytime (time tbc) – all facilitators will be required to take part in this
Workshops: Dates during August are so far likely to include: w/c 2 August; 4 – 8 August; 11-13 August; 27 – 28 August
Main image by Andy Moore